[Blindmath] An Example of How MathML Pronunciation Could be Wrong

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Apr 19 19:23:47 UTC 2011

I think you're being a bit harsh on MathML in this case, MathML is
getting nothing wrong and your comparison is wrong as the computer
(mathplayer has said nothing wrong), everything is identified correctly.

If we're going to start pointing fingers, may be the unicode consortium
got the name wrong. See the unicode code charts (visit
http://www.unicode.org) for the name of the character or may be a link
which gives the same and more information
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2223/index.htm.

There again might we point the finger at you, mathplayer can't help if
you don't know the names of the characters... :-)

Joking to one side, mathplayer did everything right, it didn't get a
character wrong, it just used the unicode name given to the character.
Whether the name is potentially confusing is another matter, and may
actually be a wider issue for spoken mathematics rather than just mathml.

Michael Whapples