[Blindmath] Computer-supported math access

Birkir Rúnar Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 21:21:29 UTC 2011

We should include that in the eventual text of the petition (I have no
time frame yet, I am hoping a week or so until something can be put
together, but I should know more in a few days).
Something along the lines of "There is a lot of research that already
has been done in the area of braille and tactile mathematics, yet none
of this information seems to have found its way into any of the screen
reader products". "We urge you to consider improving math
accessibility via braille and speech and leverage existing research
and resources".
We could easily include a lot of this info as well, but I do not want
to point them too much in a particular direction to begin with, more
press the issue and see if anyone reacts to it.
I am not sure why NVDA does not support MathPlayer for instance,
perhaps they need user requests to do so. Combining MathPlayer with
the LiblouisXML libraries it appears a MathML to refreshable Nemeth
braille solution could be created for very little cost, a solution
that could be improved over time and one that puts NVDA way ahead of
the mainstream screen readers, John Boyer already indicated as much.
With the financial trouble NVDA is in I am not sure what, if any,
priorities they have going forward though.
But I do not want to single anyone out, NVDA just came to mind as mr
Boyer already talked about the Nemeth abilities of LiblouisXML which
NVDA uses (and i believe it supports other math braille codes as
well).