[Blindmath] CSUN Talk by Well-known Math Accessibility Researcher

Neil Soiffer NeilS at dessci.com
Tue Feb 22 21:04:28 UTC 2011

I have spoken with Prof Karshmer about this topic in the past.  He and I
both agree that there is a huge problem to making cheap accessible hardware
such as braille display because the market size is so small.  There are no
economies of scale and the development effort represents a huge part of the
cost that must be amortized over the small number of products sold (on top
of the actual component cost).  It is only when you can piggy-back on top of
a device that is mainstream that you can have a relatively "cheap" product.
Government funded research can help reduce the development cost, but as Prof
Karshmer will animatedly tell you, it is not easy to get research grants for
accessibility -- the competition for the limited pot of money is quite
intense and rarely goes to product-oriented research and development.

I do recommend his talk -- he is a good and entertaining speaker.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~