[Blindmath] Translating documents with MathML into Nemeth

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 18 16:16:41 UTC 2011

Let me make sure we aren't talking apples and oranges here.

There are two ways to translate print to braille, which I'll call realtime
processing and batch processing.

Realtime processing is used only with braille displays and requires software
that can translate print electronic documents such as web pages in realtime.
Screenreaders often have this capability as do some models of braille
displays. This realtime processing essentially works line-by-line so it does
not (to my knowledge) produce proper document formatting or handle planar
layouts.

However, the realtime translators I am aware of only handle narrative or
literary text. I do not know of any software than can provide realtime
translation of electronic mathematical expressions (whatever format) to
Nemeth (or other) braille math.  I'm not sure this would even make sense in
all situations.

My understanding is that it is the intent of apps like MathPlayer to
pre-translate math expressions from MathML to Nemeth with the idea that a
properly configured screenreader could pass this pre-translated braille math
directly to a braille display while at the same time providing the correct
realtime translation of any surrounding non-mathematical text.  While this
would likely be readable, it would not necessarily follow all of the Nemeth
rules including but not limited to the rules for linebreaking which depend
on both semantics and the cells per line in the braille display.

Batch processing is used to generate electronic braille documents which are
treated as paged media where the formatting depends on the specified cells
per line. The generated electronic braille document can be either displayed
on a braille display or embossed.  (Of course, if one is reading electronic
braille on a braille display, it is essential to ensure that this is done in
translate off mode since it is already translated!) My understanding is that
there can be problems if one uses a braille display to read an electronic
braille document that has been formatted for a line length different from
that of the display but I could be wrong.  I suspect this would be more of a
problem for mathematical expressions than for text.

So now the question is whether there are batch processors that can translate
from LaTeX or from HTML+MathML to Nemeth or other braille math codes?  There
are a number of processors including DBT, TSS, and liblouis which can do
this to some extent.  However, I don't think there is any current
translation software that can produce perfect braille math automatically.
In fact, there isn't any current software that can produce perfect
contracted American English braille.

I'm getting ahead of myself here but I was going to suggest that the members
of this list set up some well-designed test input for these applications.
Good test input is preferably short which means that a lot of separate input
files are needed to provide complete coverage.

Susan