[Blindmath] volume of rotational solids (calculus)

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Mar 8 22:35:06 UTC 2011

To add encouragement, when I took calculus many years ago, my professor actually concluded that I seemed to have a better grasp of the revolution of
solids because I tended to picture it in my mind in three dimensions rather than trying to represent it on a two dimensional surface.  I am lucky to be able to
picture relationships pretty well, but I think it is worth trying to at least understand what is happening graphically and going from there.  As was mentioned, it
wasn't that essential that I be able to do a three dimensional graph, although I think the professor did ask me to describe what I was picturing.  Admittedly,
this does stretch the imagination, though.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 21:59:17 +0000, Salisbury, Justin Mark wrote:

>Hi Alex,

>    Are you taking Calculus II?  If so, I'm pretty sure that they aren't expecting you to integrate any functions that are undefined.  I'm pretty sure you'll be
integrating continuous functions.  If you're asking how to know which bound lies inside the other one, that's generally a matter of a distance from the axis of
rotation.  I hope that you can mentally conceptualize which functions lie inside other ones.  Otherwise, you'll have to use a distance formula to the axis of
rotation for points on each equation.  If you just have the understanding that you're calculating the distance between two or more equations and then
rotating it to turn area into volume, you should have a thorough enough understanding of what you're doing.  If you want to contact me off-list for humorous
real-life examples, feel free.  Sighted mathematicians really only use sketches to help themselves understand what they're doing.  Many advanced
mathematicians never even draw the functions before beginning their computations.  I think you'll be just fine as long as you know that you're accomplishing
and know which functions lie inside the others.