[Blindmath] accessible math packages

Trevor Saunders trev.saunders at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 22:44:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 04:06:29PM -0600, Joseph C. Lininger wrote:
> Good afternoon/evening folks,
> I'm wondering which math solutions (matlab and such) are accessible
> under windows with window-eyes and/or under Linux using speakup screen
> reader. At this exact moment, I need to be able to do operations you'd
> typically do in Linear algebra, reduce matrices, invert matrices,
> perform vector operations, etc. I will almost certainly need to use it
> later on in my math studies for more involved things as well. Can anyone
> make suggestions? I tried Matlab because that's what my instructor wants
> the class to use for large matrices, but discovered the installer didn't
> even work. (java it looks like) Is that how the entire package is? I'm
> also interested in using R for some other math stuff I'm working on if
> that is accessible, and would like input on these packages and other
> suggestions if you have them. Thanks in advance.

well, no idea about windows, but I would expect the java installer for
 I have no idea about windows, but I'd expect the matlab installer to
 work fine with orca, I'm not sure if there's a text based installer for
 linux, I've never used matlab myself.  You might consider octave which
 is an open source program which is intended to  be a drop in
 replacement for matlab, which may work better for your purposes since
 you won't need to deal with an installer.

 Trev