[Blindmath] SVG Draw

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri Oct 7 16:11:08 UTC 2011

May be I got the wrong end of the stick on how IVEO speaks titles and descriptions. As I initially put, is that bit something that IVEO needs to add to the SVG standard to enable the information to be stored? If it is that SVG isn't enough then most of what I said won't apply.

As for licensing, its normally there for some type of protection, most likely to give a product an advantage over others. However sometimes by being restrictive it can just get in the way (a different example was the early Sony netMD recorders, restricting you to only copying something out on to three mini-discs at a time and not letting the PC-MD connection to be used to copy recordings from the mini-disc back into the computer, even if you recorded it yourself on the device and so owned the copyright. Lets put it this way, I found that netMD so annoying that when it came to replace the device I looked at other things (there were other considerations which made me make that decision, Sony's lack of interest in accessibility in their software, etc but the annoyances with Sony's over protective copy protection system did count)). Coming back to the point, I just wonder how practical will it be to make something only available to blind users? Also certainly with the IVEO 2 software for a sighted user we found it awkward to generate satisfactory diagrams at times and may be there would be better tools for a sighted user, Why should they be restricted to IVEO licensed tools? As I said, it can feel like IVEO is the limitation.

Yes also I hate the idea of hardware lock in, particularly if the only reason is to protect sales. However hardware lock in can feel nicer if its done correct as the "whole system" just works that much better than trying to get it working on things it probably was never designed for. I guess apple could say things on that, "why can I rely on being able to walk up to any Apple Mac and get speech by pressing command+f5?" because Apple has control through the whole system. In comparison on Linux I noticed a gnome-shell extension for removing the accessibility icon from the shell, while people are free to do that sort of thing Linux will never have such a good experience as Mac (I will have to ensure that any Linux distribution I use does not remove accessibility components).

Michael whapples