[Blindmath] LEAN Math

John Gardner john.gardner at orst.edu
Tue Apr 24 18:05:33 UTC 2012

Hello all, I recently promised to post a preprint on LEAN Math.  I did.  It
is at:
http://www.access2science.com/jagqn/More%20Accessible%20Math%20preprint.htm
LEAN is Linear Editing and Authoring Notation and is described in that
paper.  There will soon be a MS Word macro permitting one to flip MathType
equations to/from LEAN notation similarly to the way you can now flip
to/from Latex.  LEAN and other Unicode symbols are all pronounceable using
screen reader speak dictionaries.LEAN was specifically designed to work well
with current technology screen readers, and I believe that most blind people
will find LEAN to be very intuitive, making MathML reading in audio very
straightforward.  And authoring math as well.  More on that in a few weeks.

I should acknowledge many useful conversations with Michael Whapples on this
topic.  Michael's intuition has undoubtedly made LEAN better than it was
when I first started.

John Gardner