[Blindmath] Nemeth questions and results of Using the Perkins

Ben Humphreys brh at opticinspiration.org
Wed Feb 8 21:38:41 UTC 2012

Susan,

As I understood from a web document I believe you posted recently,
Nemeth and computer ASCII are pretty compatible.

Why wouldn't a braille display work with Nemeth?

Also, another thing I'm not clear on with the Nemeth is the strange
representation for =, (, ).  Why is it that those need to be coded as
dot k etc when they could be represented as their actual braille characters?

Finally, as long as greek letters are not used, what is the benefit
of Nemeth over computer ASCII?  All the normal expressions like a +
b >= (c^2) / d (such as you might write in Javascript) seem easy
enough to produce in computer ASCII.
Please forgive my ignorance; I'm trying to figure this out at
40-something without the benefit of a TVI or a 6-year-old's spongy brain.

Thank you

Ben