[Blindmath] Nemeth questions and results of Using the Perkins

Joseph Lee joseph.lee22590 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 23:03:24 UTC 2012

Hi,
This is more towards programming than math - although math is
involved here:
In order for a braille display (rather, a braille terminal) to
output a braille character, the driver (software) needs to
receive the character information.  Here, I refer to the screen
reader with relevant braille rules or tables.  Without ways of
representing math symbols in braille format (one or two cells),
you cannot get Nemeth on a braille display.  There is a way to
type Nemeth on a BrailleNote Apex (at least in braille files)
because there is a Nemeth braille table and grade availible.
As for symbols and what not, I don't know for certaintly, but
Nemeth shows up a lot in scientific notations such as in
chemistry and higher math such as calculus.  But, as you said,
there are some characters which correspnds to both Nemeth and
ASCII braille such as plus and letter symbols.
As for braille shortcuts with ASCII computer braille, I feel you,
but there is a reasonable explanation: braille character codes,
math symbols and ASCII are now grouped under Unicode.  For
instance, in order to display the ASCII equals sign (dots
1-2-3-4-5-6), the braille display driver needs to know the ASCII
value of equals sign and consult a braille table to see which
braille code (in Unicode) is assigned to this character.  This is
a one-to-one correspondence because you can display up to two to
the n number of ASCII characters using two to the n number of
braille dots, hence:
2~1 = 2 (either up or down dot).
2~6 = 64 (including blank space, which Unicode has a code for
it).
2~8 = 256 (this includes all possible ASCII characters such as
control characters, uppercase symbols and such).
If we extend this argument and say that we wish to represent a
Unicode character (such as some math symbols) using two or more
braille characters.  Then we can have up to:
(2~6)*(2~6) = 2~12 = 4096 (enouch to represent a lot of symbols
involving integrals).
(2~8)*(2~8) = 2~16 = 65536 (Covering all possible Unicode
characters in existence today).  So, as you can see, from the
ASCII example, each braille dot combination is indeed represented
in Unicode, and each dot pattern in Unicode table for braille
code corresponds to one ASCII symbol.
The above statement on one-to-one corresponence works for one
letter braille symbols.  But some Nemeth symbols require two or
more braille dot patterns to represent, and we run into a
problem: how would a machine (in this case, the software which
controls the braille display) know which character should be
displayed using one, two or three characters? One way of solving
it is using smarter "parsers" (file readers) that, as soon as
first character of a two-letter symbol has been entered, tries to
guess which one the user would enter next.  For instance, if a
user enters dot 4, the software would think, "hmmm, does the
student wish to enter cent sign or dollar sign?" If the user
types s, then the software would display a dollar sign to the
braille display (I gave an example of typing, but it applies to
reading these symbols with a braille display).  Another aprroach
(a slight variant algorithm from above) is for the software to
evaluate two-letter symbols after seeing a space, newline or
other terminator symbol.
As to how to express this in JavaScript or any kind of language,
I think we should talk about it in a more programming forum.
Sorry for all the rants.  Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Joseph