[Blindmath] Results of Using the Perkins

Jose Tamayo jtblas at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 9 19:42:18 UTC 2012

Perhaps!

Forgive my ignorance and lackof knowledge in this area but I will attempt to
explore some possibilities.

IF I type all my math in Computer Braille, knowing that I am typing Nemeth
Code, does the software printing the Nemeth code care that it is Nemeth code
at all.  Does the software simply print in Computer Braille whatever has
been entered.

The recommendation, exception noted below, when using a BrailleNote is to
set the BrailleNote to computer braille.  Of course, the BrailleNote will
not have the Nemeth code spoken but when you use your finger to read the
Braille, you are reading what you expected to write; regardless of what the
BrailleNote  says.

With the BrailleNote MPower BT32, which is the one I have, there is a bug
with copying and pasting Computer braille and thus copying and pasting is a
problem for users of the BrailleNote and computer braille for entering math.
I was using Computer Braille because it was the only way to get Nemetext to
read the file for LaTeX conversion.

When using the Braille Display with JAWS, it really does not matter what
JAWS reads (understatement).  I guess my point is that if you  stick to
Computer Braille, you should be ok unless I don't understand the solution.

Please help me understand this issue.

Regards,
Jose Tamayo