[Blindmath] Convincing a professor

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 10 00:42:22 UTC 2012

Jose,

Thank you so much for your kind words.

I have to start with the point I always make.  In the United States it is
against the law for a college or university to require you to do your work
in print if you prefer to do it in braille.  The college is responsible for
converting your work from braille to print assuming you use a standard
braille system.  However, I completely understand anyone's reluctance to
take the route of suing their college.

I have to say I'm shocked that you couldn't get a professor of mathematics
to at least spend 20 minutes studying what I've written about how to read
Nemeth braille simply by displaying it in a regular print font.  Few people
are so busy they don't have 20 minutes!  And aren't professors supposed to
be open-minded and curious?

My email address is at the bottom of the page about reading Nemeth and I've
always offered to answer questions on an individual basis.  If your
instructor is an intellectual snob you could point out that I come from a
family of university professors and have a Ph.D. myself.  I also taught high
school and college chemistry prior to earning my Ph.D. so I feel I have the
background in both teaching and mathematics to be credible and to be able to
understand if the professor has a good technical reason why he or she
doesn't think my  approach would be adequate for what they are trying to
accomplish.

Braille dots are very mysterious looking to a sighted person since the
visual system does much better with connected figures than with disconnected
ones.  So I can imagine a person who knows nothing about braille might look
at a page of embossed braille or a line of cells on a braille display and
mistakenly think that is what you are asking them to learn to read.

Good luck,
SusanJ