[Blindmath] How useful is a GUI to blind users?

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 7 23:48:25 UTC 2012

Dick,

I prefer not GUI, but I'm an old-fashioned sort of gal. Well, I am
having to relearn tons to remember how to use Linux effectively from the
terminal again using speech and braille... Still, I consider getting
back to terminal/command line use is worth the effort. GUIs are really
convenient for people who can see them, especially if they process icons
and images and locational relationships more easily than they do words.
I'm weird, so always found GUIs annoying. Why can't people just type to
tell the computer what they want it to do? /lol/

For students who are not so old or old-fashioned, I don't know how easy
they would find the transition to a command-line type program. I haven't
done command line since I lost the vision to see the GUI, so I'm in the
process of learning to do things better while my brain does all that fun
rewiring around the not having vision business.

I'll be interested to hear what you come up with and decide to do. I
have some interest in doing some programming like that for grins once I
get back to doing it for profit, too. /smile/

Tami