[Blindmath] How useful is a GUI to blind users?

Ken Perry kperry at blinksoft.com
Tue Jan 10 12:17:37 UTC 2012

I am mainly answering your first and last statements because I think we both
agree.  My opinion as a coder is that all access should be in the
development libraries.  For example a control should not be allowed to work
if it doesn't have the correct accessibility fields in.  For example if you
want a graphical button that only has mouse access fine but you need to have
the access roles filled in or it's a compiler error.  That is the only way
we are going to end up with all applications made accessible.  You might
think that programmers will just put stupid in formation in the field just
to quickly get done but that is even ok because as long as the information
is there one or two things can happen.  The first being a screen reader can
make special labels so that the stupid information don't show or people can
post the software somewhere and point out the programmers intentionally did
not fill the fields in correctly.  I personally believe that with as easy as
it would be to fill in some access fields most programmers would do it.  The
fact that Mac programs are mostly accessible and so are .net if they don't
do unusual graphic stuff is what is making most software accessible now.  If
we go that extra step and force programmers to add accessibility as part of
the language then it I think it would be shocking how fast programs would
become accessible..

So I guess what I am saying is people who make these development libraries
like swt, wxWidgets, .net coco.  Need to make it more than just a suggestion
when you build your controls.  It could be done.  I think we should drop
this thread before it drifts farther away from math though but it's an
important topic.

Ken