[Blindmath] problems reading PDF scientific documents

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Wed Jun 6 10:28:14 UTC 2012

I personally have not used infty reader, however I have heard from some people that they have found it useful. One such person is John Miller, who I think is more likely to be found on the NFB-science list he may be on this one. I have also met people here in the UK who have used it and said they had some good results.

However infty reader is an optical character recognition (OCR) package, so it isn't guaranteed to get everything 100% correct and quality of results is highly dependent on the quality of the original document. I think OCR is the only way currently PDF will be made accessible for maths, even the maxtract project I mentioned said that they cannot get all the information they need by parsing the PDF document. I believe there may be some work on including maths in a PDF in an accessible form, however that probably is years away from completion and will require the PDF to be created in the correct way so won't work for current PDF documents.

As for converting Word documents to LaTeX, its not something I have really done. I do know there is software out there but I haven't tried any. Normally if I have needed to read maths in a Word document I have used MathType from design science, which can either put the document out to HTML with MathML which can be viewed in internet explorer with math player and a screen reader, or you can get it to toggle the equations within the word document to be in LaTeX notation (the rest of the document is still normal word stuff, the equations are the only thing in LaTeX notation).

As for the price of MathType, may be your college/university has a license for it which you could use, if not the student license of MathType isn't too bad on price.

Also while on accessibility of Word and maths, I believe Design science have created some software to allow word documents with maths to be exported as daisy books. I don't know what cost on this is like or how well it works as I haven't used it. Obviously you would also need a daisy reader which is capable of maths content (I believe GH-player and Dolphin's daisy reader both can do this, there may be others).

Michael Whapples