[Blindmath] Learning the Nemeth Code

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jun 10 18:23:01 UTC 2012

Hi Daniel,

It sounds like you have a good background in math.  You shouldn't find the
Nemeth code very hard.  It's just a notation for math similar to a
programming language.

I'm sighted and taught myself Nemeth because I was interested in writing
software to interpret Nemeth so I had to learn all the rules.  Usually you
just need to learn the rules relevant to whatever subject you want to study.
And remember, it's usually easier to read something rather to temember how
to write it perfectly.

I put a lot of information about Nemeth on my website when I was learning
it. You might find it helpful; it all depends on how you learn best. Here's
the starting page with links to other pages.
http://www.dotlessbraille.org/NemethIntro.htm

Another good resource is the MathSpeak project which has almost all the
Nemeth rules with their associated spoken form.  Here's the link:
http://www.gh-mathspeak.com/

Don't forget to practice reading braille several hours each day!  As for
Nemeth, I recommend you start with getting good at reading dropped numbers.

Best wishes,
Susan Jolly