[Blindmath] Used Braille College Text Books

Tammy Berg tdberg72 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 19 16:08:19 UTC 2012

Thank you everyone for your feedback and responses. After talking with the disability services department more, I was provided with the following information regarding where they received their pricing for the books being transcribed to Braille. My son will be the first blind student to attend their univesity so it's going to be a learning experience for all of us. They are offering audio books, readers, and scribes; however, we were really hoping to get the books in Braille so he can be more independent and have the material at his fingertips. We will continue to push for the Braille books.

"The estimates were done by Arizona State University’s Disability
Services Office that does the work in-house for their students.   Others confirm that they deliver the
highest quality produced at a reasonable cost.
I have a list of other agencies that do Braille texts, but have
been warned that not all are equal in quality or production time.  Most
conversion agencies require one year in advance to convert texts to Braille.
 College level science and math pose another challenge:  it is
important that the agency employs converters that know the subject matter
well enough to accurately convert it.
The ASU estimates (sans two) for Fall 2012
semester were as follows:
--Basics of Engineering Economy  = $18,000
(could be a “hybrid” for $8000)
--Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter = $55,000  (not
cheaper as a hybrid due to more labor involved in making the text/images to
audio with screen-reader)
--University Physics = $72,000 (could be a “hybrid” for $38,000
if student is accustomed to listening to math)
--Calculus = $71,000 (could be a “hybrid” for $40,000 if student
is accustomed to listening to math)"