[Blindmath] software accessibility inquiry

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Wed Jun 27 15:56:53 UTC 2012

Hello,
I will discuss Oracle because the others I could answer about I did so

Depends a bit what they mean by Oracle. If it means using the Oracle
database system, creating SQL scripts and/or maintaining a database then
yes that can be done. However I know that Oracle have many other
products which may or may not be accessible. For example Oracle have
SQLDeveloper as an open-source product, but there were accessibility
issues with it with Orca (a few years ago) and when I contacted them
about it they basically said that as its an open-source product it was
not required to meet their accessibility standards. However in the case
of SQLDeveloper it was not too much trouble as there are alternatives
from elsewhere. Also Oracle do have some accessibility information on
their website, but how useful that would be to you I don't know
(normally its fairly general and may not really reflect what you may
experience with your screen reader because they considered it with other
tools).

Also thinking about it, it might be worth finding out from the company
how critical knowledge of those tools is to the job. If they consider
the knowledge critical then consider your chances of getting it as
someone who lacks skills they ask for. I don't know about the US,
however here in the UK there are government schemes to help provide
support to disabled people do their jobs, potentially if an application
is inaccessible then here in the UK you could seek someone to support
you use it.

Michael Whapples