[Blindmath] grayscale braille

Richard Baldwin baldwin at dickbaldwin.com
Thu Mar 22 06:31:24 UTC 2012

Well, I don't know much about souls, but let's see if this analogy makes
any sense.

I like to think of color in an image as being analogous to bandwidth in a
communication channel.

By increasing the bandwidth of a communication channel, we can convey more
information per unit of time.

By adding color to images (as compared to gray scale), we can convey more
information per square centimeter of image space.

Of course, more information is only useful if more information is needed.
And it is certainly possible for the human brain to become overwhelmed by
too much information.

So don't think about color in a visual sense. After all, color is just a
bunch of numbers. And numbers should mean the same thing to all of us
whether sighted or blind.

Instead, think about color in an image as a mathematical description of a
surface, such as a contour map of geographical area, a weather map showing
areas of high and low pressure, or the evaluation of a mathematical
expression such as the so called "Mexican hat" equation (see
http://seis.bris.ac.uk/~tm7976/human.htm)

Then ask yourself if more dynamic range in describing that surface would be
useful. If the answer is yes, then the use of color might be appropriate.
If the answer is no, then don't complicate things by adding color.

Dick Baldwin