[Blindmath] Issues with electronic math files and screen readers/braille displays

Birkir R. Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Fri May 11 16:03:32 UTC 2012

Hi Michael

I understand your frustration with Android, and commented on Google's
lackof progress in an article for the European Blind Union magazine
(www.euroblind.org), about CSUN.
So I fully share your frustration with the platform, whichis a subject
fr a whole different discussion elsewhere.
Apple is incredibly hard to work with, I have found myself on the
developer end recently, and been shocked by the lack of transparancy
and resources available to me in that capacity, so I see that side of
it too.
I hope that Windows 8 may solve this dilemma with a
desktop/touchscreen interface, enabling one device to possibly act as
a tactice tablet as well as a laptop.
I suppose though that Windows 8 touchscreen accessibility will take
some time to mature, neither iOS nor Android had a very good interface
in their original versions, and it would be unfair to expect Microsoft
to get it right in the beginning, though I hope so.
Couldn't you get an Android tablet at a very reasonable cost, compared
with many assistive devices. I don't know, but I would guestimate $200
to $300 for a touch tablet that has the screen and processing power to
run a tactile diagram map, but that is purely speculation.
I'd shell that out for access to graphics, or justify it as expense
when applying for funding, though I agree that I don't like carrying
around tons of special purpose devices.
So muttering well accepted, but I just felt I had to make and clarify the point.
Cheers and be well.
-B