[Blindmath] Math graphs

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 02:06:39 UTC 2012

Hi Catalina,
What format is your textbook currently in? Do you have access to any
tactile versions of the graphs or is any audio description provided?
Or are the graphs simply left out of your text?
I agree with others that there are several ways  for you to succeed in
this type of math class. As you have seen, some blind folks like to
use tactile graphs and others prefer verbal descriptions. We all learn
differently and  whether you use a tactile graph or get someone to
describe it to you  is your choice. If your college does not have a
lot of Braille embossing resources, you could start by working with
the professor or a reader to describe things. If you are still having
trouble following, you could investigate some low-tech ways  to make
tactile graphs on your own.
It's important to remember that algebra itself is mathematical, not
graphical. Sighted people like to use graphs as one way of
representing mathematical relationships, but most algebraic concepts
can be represented equally well in words or equations. Reading every
graph from your book in detail might not be essential for
understanding the main ideas of the course.
I am personally one who prefers verbal descriptions or equations to
tactile graphs, as I have good math skills but poor spatial skills. I
have taken math up through calculus and am on my fifth statistics
course now as I  am getting a Ph.D. in experimental social psychology.
I never had any tactile graphs for any of my stats classes and rarely
needed to get a description either, because statistics can be
understood in terms of equations or  verbally. In my current advanced
stats course (structural equation modeling), the sighted students draw
or interpret diagrams to solve problems. I have other students or the
professor describe diagrams to me, and write my own models in the form
of equations, commands to a computer program or in words (i.e. "An
arrow connects y1  and y3 passing through y2". The only time I really
worry about the graphics is when I do my final  class assignment since
that will be presented to other students and possibly published. In
that case, I will work with a reader to make sure the diagram makes
sense visually.
Best,
Arielle