[Blindmath] perspective and the blind

Amanda Lacy lacy925 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 15:53:13 UTC 2013

"Do we really have to experience everything before
we can understand it?"

>From physics I know what color is, and using Java I learned how colors are
rendered on a screen, but I don't claim to understand color. For example I
don't understand why some colors clash and others match, or why different
colors are supposed to evoke different emotions or states of mind. Having a
favorite color seems very important to sighted [people, and some even go so
far as to say that there's a link between certain personality traits and
one's favorite color. Most blind people can use analogies to remember these
facts, but essentially all we're doing is memorization. In math I'm told all
the time that memorization does not equal understanding.