[Blindmath] Working of the device.

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Jan 20 15:03:50 UTC 2013

I am a little puzzled from reading these messages, particularly a
statement in a previous message about this: "Also the user here need not
be required to be too knowledgeable about Cartesian co ordinate system
or geometry."

The below message I am replying to describes precisely inputting the
shape by using cartesian co-ordinates.

To describe this further, I will use the below example of inserting a
30cm wide by 10cm high rectangle in the top left hand corner of the page
(NOTE: probably not a good thing to draw when using A4 paper as it will
not fit).

The below example for the device said I would need to find button 1,
then move to the right three units to get button 3, move down one unit
to button 6 and move left three units to get button 4. As these are laid
out in a grid I am effectively selecting cartesian co-ordinates and as
these units of each button are not necessarily the same as the unit I am
working in (cm) I need to remember to apply a scale of 10cm = 1 button.
How would one draw with such a device a rectangle 23cm by 11cm?

Now to compare with drawing with SVG (possibly SVGDraw or other
software), I would say, start at co-ordinate (0cm,0cm), move to
co-ordinate (30cm,0cm), move to (30cm,10cm) and move to co-ordinate
(0cm,10cm) and close the path. So in this case I did not need to convert
from cm to any other unit, so the drawing 23cm by 11cm problem can be
done easy ( (0cm,0cm) -- (23cm,0cm) -- (23cm,11cm) -- (0cm,11cm) --
cycle ). Also it is worth noting that some software (I am thinking of
PGF/TikZ as that is something I know) do have shortcuts for rectangles,
you need only specify the top left co-ordinate and bottom right
co-ordinate, the other two can be calculated automatically by the computer.

I don't know whether SVGDraw can do this, but other software (again
PGF/TikZ is one I know is capable) would allow you to then move and
rotate a drawn shape, this can make calculating the co-ordinates much
easier (eg. if we wanted to rotate the 30cm by 10cm rectangle by 30
degrees, we could do the original drawing with it horizontal and easy
co-ordinates and then rotate it by 30 degrees). How would one go about
drawing such a shape with the device? Do you need to draw the shape as
it will appear or can one do such movements after entering the shape?

I will agree that sometimes cartesian co-ordinates are not easy to work
with for drawing certain shapes, an equilateral triangle is not easy but
much easier when using polar co-ordinates and again some software such
as PGF/TikZ do allow using polar co-ordinates to draw a shape. While I
think SVGDraw does not support using polar co-ordinates it could easily
be added i would imagine. However a physical device which has buttons
laid out in a grid shape will not be able to be adapted to use polar
co-ordinates and I imagine due to so few buttons (20x16) will not be
able to draw an equilateral triangle accurately.

Finally, I do believe that if one wishes to draw accurately then a
understanding of co-ordinate systems and geometry is very valuable.
Without an understanding of these concepts one is simpling guessing what
they are drawing.

Sorry if this sounds very negative, but I do have concerns whether this
will achieve what it is meant to and sometimes only by viewing something
critically can it overcome its problems. Here are a few questions to
consider:
* Should one be trying to make it that one need not understand
co-ordinate systems or geometry? Will this really be of advantage to the
person in the long term?
* Does this really lower the effort in understanding co-ordinate
systems, to me it only seems to provide a physical representation of a
co-ordinate system and only one co-ordinate system at that.
* Is 20x16 input points sufficient? It may pose issues for rectangles
and certainly will for other shapes like equilateral triangles,
pentigons, etc (fairly basic shapes) where edges will not be horizontal
or vertical.
* Possibly is it really going to be worth the development cost? What I
mean by that is one could draw on tactile graph paper (which is
something which already exists) and use that to obtain the co-ordinates
they need to input into the computer should they find calculating the
co-ordinates in there mind too difficult and this would hopefully over
time make the person understand the co-ordinates. Tactile graph paper
also is more flexible as one can draw to a fraction of a unit. Sometimes
the low tech solution can be best, something even acknowledged on my
computing post graduate course.

Michael Whapples