[Blindmath] Working of the device.

Kiran kiran at persiontechnologies.com
Sun Jan 20 22:19:19 UTC 2013

Dear Michael,

I thank you for giving a thought on the way this device shall work up in the
context of a small example that i had written and you came up with such
illustrious explanation, i shall try to attend to your queries.

The reason i came up with such an idea for the device is connected to what i
understood during my studies about the needs of the vi person, like a
sighted person if we were to use the shapes in the word, power point or
Visio, i had found very little hence i came up with such a device, as i said
that this is a subset of the tactile display that automatically detects the
shape in any of the standard application of the Word, Excel, Power point,
Visio and shall enable the same to be displayed in a tactile way just like
the Braille display pins are controlled in their upward motion.

The associated control panel has numerical buttons from 0 - 9 so like any
other drawing tool that uses input from the user during drawing such as
stroke width or the co ordinate from where to begin the drawing similarly
the software also collects some information from the user, scaling is
necessary for many purposes, when we intend to represent a rectangular room
of 20 ft by 14 .5 ft we actually draw a rectangle proportional to the other
things that are to be put on the page and use two sided arrow to denote the
dimensions and not draw each drawing to the scale, similarly when we say
that we are drawing the rectangle by giving it four input points, my
intention here is to make the user feel the shape each time he is drawing
something.

Correctly said that the grid is of even plungers that when pressed denote
their locations, so how shall one press the plungers when an odd size of
rectangle is to be drawn? Say for eg 23 by 11.5. what i would like to
clarify is that when you select the rectangle the software shall ask you for
the units and the size to be drawn so that it can also insert the dimensions
(not compulsory) so for all even number dimensions we can have the pressed
plungers to work without  a confusion when in case of 23 if i have a scale
of 5 cm as the inter plunger distance i shall be pressing the fifth
plunger(r1 c5) on the first row and again the firth plunger in the third row
for 11.5(r3 c5). Scalling is mental mathematics, its assumption only not to
the actual scaling purpose(distance in between two plungers is assumption
purpose only).

I hope that this discussion shall continue and lead to my knowledge, there
are a few questions that you have asked as a summary, i shall write a
detailed mail on those in a separate mail, also i think that i am about to
have a video on the working of this device very soon that shall help us
comprehend the usage and ease of use aspects in a better way.

Looking forward to all this in the near future,

Kind regards,

Kiran