[Blindmath] (no subject)

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Oct 7 17:35:01 UTC 2013

If you know how to use Microsoft word, then may be the simplest option
to write maths is MathType. You would need to learn the LaTeX notation
MathType uses for maths. After learning that you would just insert
equations by entering the LaTeX for your equation in word, selecting
that equation, pressing alt+backslash to convert it into a MathType object.

The LaTeX for the MathType of the quadratic formula is: $x = \frac{-b
\pm \sqrt{b^2 -4ac}}{2a}$

If you went the route of using LaTeX for the whole document you will
have much more LaTeX notation to learn. You would write it in either a
text editor (eg. notepad) or a editor which is designed for LaTeX. To
get a print version of the document in PDF you would run it through a
LaTeX compiler such as pdflatex. One advantage of LaTeX though is that
it is a programming language for creating documents so there are many
packages you can use to help create certain document types and elements
within a document and you can define your own commands for things you
need to do regular. However such power will require significant
investment in time and effort to learn it. Also when writing LaTeX
documents, you may as well forget all your MS Word knowledge as LaTeX is
very different.

LaTeX is a mainstream tool and a good LaTeX reference book and a web
search engine will be your friend if you choose to use LaTeX, there is
lots of information out there but you will need to be able to find what
is relevant for your situation.

There are some editors designed for visually impaired people which try
to be more friendly than LaTeX, but they tend to be less powerful. This
is not to say that they are less useful, unless you can manage working
with LaTeX then a more user friendly tool might allow you to do more
because you might be able to discover how to do what you want.

To explain some of the tools you listed:
* MathType: A math editor which works with many software packages
including word. It is certainly powerful and the cost for an academic
license is reasonable for what you get. There is a demo version
available which you may want to try before buying to see whether it
suits you.
* MathPlayer: An extension to Internet Explorer to allow Internet
Explorer to show equations in webpages which are in the MathML format.
It has accessiblity features which allow a screen reader to read the
content of the equation, but navigation is poor compared to other
solutions. I believe also MathPlayer has support for Braille but I have
not tried this to see how it works.
* LaTeX: A programming language for creating documents. Free versions
available, versions for Windows, Linux and Mac. Extremely extensive in
what it can do, but this power comes at a cost of potentially a lot to
learn. Also its very different to most other ways of writing a document,
you are writing computer source code  in the LaTeX format, it is not a
WYSIWYG editing experience. Some tools use a subset of the LaTeX
language to allow inputting math, MathType is such an example but a
number of blogs and wikis also support this.
* Infty Editor and Chattyinfty: These are editors which try to be more
user friendly than LaTeX but unlike MathType do not allow you to create
the non-math parts in word and use them purely for math content. I have
never used these so will not comment on how well they work.
* InftyReader: OCR for mathematics. Possibly a bit expensive but I have
heard reports it works well and I believe the only maths OCR on the market.
* MathTrax: A tool for graphing equations or data, producing an audio
representation of the graph. Free and available for Windows, Linux and
the Mac. It uses Java swing so you would need to ensure you have a
working java access bridge for it to be accessible.
* ViewPlus Audio Graphing calculator: I guess I had to mention this as I
do work for ViewPlus. Another solution for producing audio
representations of graphs, only for windows, commercial software so
while costing you will get support. There is a demo version available
should you want to try before buying.

The other things you mention I am not sure what exactly they are.

Michael Whapples