[Blindmath] Linear formulas for synthetic division algorithm available in Nemeth braille

Jonathon Yaggie via Blindmath blindmath at nfbnet.org
Wed May 14 21:37:15 UTC 2014

Susan,

My inability to read braille in general hinders me from actually being able
to read what you wrote very well.  But a couple important notes on the
mathematics of the division algorithm which I think should be noted to
students if plan to use it.

1) One does not need to add zeros when using the division algorithm as one
does in the spatial version
2) It works for all polynomials e.g. synthetic division is a special case.
3) it is important also to note that this is the long division algorithm.
 How do blind children learn long division? or dont they?  Such a simple
thing I have never even considered.

In addition, are there example in there?  i had written out some examples.
 I will attach them (tex and pdf) if you want to use them.   It makes me
feel like the 40 pages of background I wrote for my MA thesis was not a
waste :)

Jon Yaggie
EYH Volunteer Coordinator
UIC Mathematics