[Blindmath] {Spam?} Re: math type accessibility with jaws screen reader,

Neil Soiffer soiffer at alum.mit.edu
Mon Feb 27 05:02:23 UTC 2017

A few notes and clarifications about MathType:

1.  LaTeX is not the underlying language for MathType -- LaTeX along with
MathML and a few other formats are alternative representations that
MathType supports for import and export.

2. The translator from MathType to LaTeX is somewhat simple and puts in far
more braces than are needed. It's easier to generate that way and legal
LaTeX. It does unfortunately make it harder to read and listen to.

3.  If you type LaTeX and convert it to MathType, MathType will remember
the original LaTeX and preserve it unless you edit the equation in
MathType. So if you start with LaTeX without many braces, convert it to
MathType and convert it back to LaTeX, it will look exactly the way you
typed it.

4.  If you can't see normal math notation, a VERY big advantage of using
Word+MathType+NVDA+MathPlayer when entering LaTeX is that once you convert
the LaTeX to normal math notation, it can be read by NVDA+MathPlayer and
displayed in Nemeth on a refreshible braille display. That's important
because you have no way of knowing if you made a mistake in typing the
LaTeX without getting that feedback. Making occasional mistakes in LaTeX
happens to everyone, so getting feedback via sight, sound, or touch is
really important if you want to make sure others understand what you wrote.

5.  AFAIK, JAWS does not support speaking/brailling math in Word documents.
If that has changed in the last year, please let me and others on the list
know.

I hope that clarifies a few things,

Neil Soiffer