[Blindmath] Capital letters in MathType equations?

Neil Soiffer soiffer at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jan 9 22:55:12 UTC 2017

As Lois indicated, you can edit the expression in MathType and add a
preference so that it says "cap" instead of doing a pitch change. That will
work for NVDA+MathPlayer in Word. If you have multiple equations that you
want to change the behavior for, you can use the MathType tab in Word and
choose "Format Equations" and load the preference there to change all the
selected equations' speech or the entire document.

If you never want the pitch change (e.g, because your speech engine doesn't
do pitch changes), then you can change the MathPlayer rule itself. In
(probably)
C:\Dev\Cosmo\MathPlayer4\EqnLib\rules\pvt\en\ClearSpeak-unicode.tdl, look
for the two occurrences of
    && find_attribute(match, pref::Caps, "Auto")=="SayCaps"
and delete those characters (leave the rest of the line there). Save the
file and you should now hear "cap ..." for capital roman letters. It's a
little messier for other cases. For the other cases, do a global (within
the same file as before) find and replace of
     find_attribute(match, pref::Caps, "Auto")!="SayCaps" ? "" : "cap ")
with
    "cap "

What these changes do is remove the Caps Auto as a preference from
MathPlayer and always say "Cap" for capital letters.

Note: in case you weren't aware, you can change the default speech
synthesizer that NVDA uses from espeak to one of the MS speech engines.
Those speech engines, like the eloquence speech engine used by JAWS (which
also uses pitch change for caps by default) do support the pitch change for
capital letters. If the pitch change is too subtle, you can increase the
pitch change (look for "change=130" in that file). From the espeak
documentation, it should support pitch change but NVDA might not be
supporting it with espeak.

I hope this helps,

Neil Soiffer