[BlindMath] TeX to HTML+MathML from NIST

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Mon May 15 19:38:32 UTC 2017

Hi all,

The primary author of tex4ht died so long ago that it would have been taken out of the standard miktex distribution by now if development was a solo effort. It didn't work for some time under v2.9, but the problems were resolved (all after Prof. Gurari's death).

I use tex4ht very frequently. Assistance for its use is found on stack overflow, including a work around to get alt text on images working, which had been an irritation for me for a number of years. I'll keep using it and recommending it to others until someone shows me an alternative that is better. I did lose faith in tex4ht for a couple of years because it did not work under v2.9 of miktex. In the end, I'm pleased I stuck with it and waited for the solutions to be developed. One major advantage of tex4ht was its ability to handle author-specified commands. It seems that other solutions are now doing this as well which is great. Options means a choice; for me, the ability to choose among full solutions is a major factor in having independence.

Given the vast improvements in screen reader access to math content in html documents, the way forward on gaining access seems very clear to me. We can't wait for the solution for accessible pdf documents created from latex source, which are only made accessible with the investment in human resource and commercial software. Understanding the differences between the various options for converting tex to html is crucial at this time, and I suspect will remain so for a number of years yet.

Cheers,
Jonathan