[BlindMath] BlindMath Digest, Vol 139, Issue 5

vmartin at mindspring.com vmartin at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 22 04:06:35 UTC 2018

Hello,
A member of my lab in the sonification lab at Georgia Tech, Jared Batterman,
is conducting his final study for his Engineering Psychology PHD.  Our lab,
his research, and mine deals with displaying of information in a non-visual
format.  Mostly, this consists of sonifying data.  Jared's overall research
for his dissertation is dealing with how we understand error and how it is
presented using Statistics.  Blind people have severe difficulty with this,
but that is not unique.  Most sighted people are terrible at it as well.  It
is not uncommon in academic conference presentations for the error bars to
be presented incorrectly.  All too often, no tactile representation of error
is available and a sighted person has to describe how data is presented,
including the error bars.  This has affected me in my own graduate research.

Below is a link to his study, where he is requesting volunteers to take his
study.   He is also asking low-vision and blind people who have taken
Statistics to complete it as well.
Thanks in advance.

Vincent Martin
PhD student
Human Centered Computing
Georgia Tech

>A link to my dissertation study is below.  Feel free to participate and
share the link with anyone you know who >would qualify (basically anyone who
has taken stats).  I also need at least 5 to 7 people with visual
impairments >to participate, so if you can give the link to anyone who fits
that bill, that would help tremendously.

 Study link:
https://gatech.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_efXfV6Ks6OfOMpT

Thanks in advance.