[BlindMath] Regarding algebra tutorials:

Tucker Benson tbxr400 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 23:08:16 UTC 2018

Hey Kendra! It’s Tucker Benson from before. You replied to my post concerning accessible math textbooks on bookshare.

I read your emails awhile back and have been busy testing several programs promising algebra lessons for blind students, so I was hoping I could provide you and students at my college a solution. Unfortunately, though, that is not the case. I have yet to find accessible math lessons, but I will continue searching.

However, I believe I could provide you with a solution to access more than algebra problems, but worksheets containing properties and much more! Have you heard of iBooks Author? It is an app on macOS that allows math instructors a platform to insert mathML into an iBook file and export it to students. This is amazing because voiceover can open and fully access these iBook files and their math content on any iOS device.

I have been implementing this with a math professor at my college and it is completely accessible to the blind! However, it is possible to read the math, not write it since a user must either use MathType or Daum to insert the math elements. Luckily, though, you can add notes to the iBooks which can function as answers to problems. In this way, you can send back the file with answers attached.

I will include links below to explain how to properly use iBooks Author. Please ask your Disability Resource Center to connect with a math instructor who could copy existing algebra files into this program to help you prepare for your winter course. If you can have a pool of these accessible iBooks available for study, you should be set.

http://www.perkinselearning.org/technology/digital-transitions/creating-digital-math-worksheets-can-be-accessed-ios-devices

http://www.perkinselearning.org/technology/blog/how-read-math-expressions-voiceover-ios-device

If you need help with anything, do not hesitate to contact me. I’m willing to work with you, your DRC, and math professors on how to use iBooks Author over the phone.

I hope this helps you Kendra!

My regards,
Tucker