[BlindMath] FW: Announcing new and improved EPUB "Fundamental Accessibility Tests for Reading Systems"

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Wed Jan 9 14:55:09 UTC 2019

Standards for EPUB files and best practices for their creation are continuing to be refined.
Not only must there be accessible publications, but the developers of browsers, screen readers, apps and standalone specialized devices need structured feedback on how well the accessible information is presented and made useable.
If anyone is inclined to put some serious time into evaluating reading systems, this is a good time to get started. How well do these systems do for speech output? For braille output? For dealing with publications that have sidebars, footnotes, multiple levels of headings, etc.? As we go beyond the basic book that is announced now, how do we proceed with image descriptions, math and other notation?

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20542   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls/
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.