[BlindMath] What is your experience reading LaTeX source?

John Gardner gardnerj at oregonstate.edu
Sun Jan 13 21:01:15 UTC 2019

Hello all. WinTriangle was developed in my lab and then taken over by the Access Tech group at Oregon State. Not sure where the final version lies nor whether it is worth modernizing it. WinTriangle is basically just a compact form of LaTex in which things like the \frac{, the }{ in the middle and the final } of a fraction structure are replaced by single symbols that voice as "frac" "over" and "end frac". There are only a few little departures from Latex syntax I believe. Actually I'm not sure, but I believe that left subscripts and maybe index roots are spoken in more intuitive fashion than Latex. I know they are spoken that way in the LeanMath app. And of course the unicode symbols for Greek letters are used instead of \alpha... Aqil can no doubt give a list of things that are not quite proper Latex order, but it isn't a big deal to transform between Latex and WinTriangle. The symbols are intuitive enough that most sighted scientists can read WinTriangle files without much difficulty.

Hope this helps a bit.
John