[BlindMath] What is your experience reading LaTeX source?

Aqil Sajjad aqilsajjad at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 20:02:24 UTC 2019

Ok, I should have phrased that 'bottom line' sentence slightly
differently. But the overall point is still fully valid. I am a research
level blind physicist and read papers from arxiv all the time. And most
of the time I am able to do this either with zero or minimal time wasted
on reading or editing the original LaTex code. The reason: I choose to
work with technology that allows me to do this.

Yes, several blind mathematicians read LaTex code directly. But that
hardly means it is not a very inefficient way to read math. There is a
reason why sighted people generally read the compiled pdf instead of
reading the LaTex source code directly. The difference is like going to
a website and reading the html source code with all the formatting junk
instead of reading the actual website on display. One can of course read
the source code but one wouldn't normally do that as a first choice
unless one really has to. And this isn't merely a matter of personal
preference but has to do with the fact that if you have to read through
all those formatting commands which aren't related to the content, then
it's distracting and makes reading inefficient.

Now, coming to the point about the inability of LaTex to MathML
converters to cleanly produce good MathML without requiring one to edit
the source code. I haven't worked with MathMl conversion because I
haven't been able to get one working, honestly. I have however done some
experimentation with LaTex to MathType convertors, and yes, the results
are mixed. It's true that things don't always convert well to Math Type
without having to edit the source code. But then this only means that
these tools aren't quite there yet despite all the excessive hype around
MathML and Math Type on these forums. It does not mean that reading
LaTex directly should be the way to go.

As I I wrote in the previous e-mail, I use an old tool called
WinTriangle for reading LaTex documents because it allows conversion to
a clutter-free format with much less work. Yes, I do have to edit the
source code sometimes in order to make it convert correctly. But most of
the time
I am able to simply convert it to WinTriangle without having to open the
LaTex source code at all. Apart from the arxiv, this also applies to
documents obtained by scanning something and converting it to LaTex
through infty reader. They mostly convert nicely to WinTriangle without
one having to even open the LaTex source code. This allows me to focus
on reading the real content without having to waste time reading through
all the clutter in the LaTex code.

So here is the revised bottom line: One doesn't and shouldn't have to
spent a lot of time reading through the formatting mess in the LaTex
source code in order to read math. Sighted people don't do it and we
shouldn't have to do it either. If we're doing it, then we're using the
wrong technology and lowering our efficiency.