[BlindMath] What is your experience reading LaTeX source?

Aqil Sajjad aqilsajjad at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 21:06:02 UTC 2019

Basically, tensors are about lots of subscripts and superscripts. It
takes a bit of time and practice to get used to them but one eventually
gets there.

The subscripts and superscripts for the tensors in general relativity
are often Greek letters. So in LaTex, you end up with things like
g_{\mu\nu} or \gamma^\mu _{\nu\rho} etc.
Needless to say, if you're blind and are reading this with a screen
reader, then parsing through it can be a bit involved. If you have some
other format and technology that doesn't present a Greek letter as
\alpha, \beta etc and simply expresses it as a single character and
reads it out to you, then it can make life a lot easier. So this is
actually a pretty good example of why reading LaTex directly isn't
efficient and you're better off using one of the other alternatives. Add
to these multiple greek letter indices formatting commands like
\ textstyle etc which have nothing to do with the content and you have
more distraction on top of the fact that you have several Greek letters
in subscripts or superscripts and that these equations can get rather long.