[BlindMath] What is your experience reading LaTeX source?

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Fri Jan 11 22:39:25 UTC 2019

I happen to agree with all of Aqil's comments, but would add:

Anyone who expects to write in LaTeX must be able to read in LaTeX; that's not a blindness issue per se, but if we can't read the final converted output with certainty then our independence is compromised. This lack of certainty (post-conversion) is the blindness issue.

I well remember spending some very good money on a (print) book about writing for the mathematical sciences. I had it read to me by volunteers cover to cover. In the end, I could have scanned much of it, especially the sections that were the most critical about writing style. The most memorable of the nuggets taken from this book was that the expression of mathematical ideas by way of symbols and Greek letters has limited capacity to speak to the audience. It is more effective and efficient if the audience knows what they are looking at before they look at it. My take on the advice given was to make sure that every equation or symbols/Greek could be replaced with placeholders like "blah1" or "spiky thing" without detracting from the overall level of understanding of the aims of the paper/thesis etc. This is even more relevant in presentations when the audience is engaging at the speaker's pace not the audience's pace. In the end, this guided my use of volunteer readers as well. Scanning options were very rudimentary at that time and little to nothing was available in any form of HTML. The best papers I engaged with tended to be the ones that followed the advice given in the book. In the end, knowing I was engaging with the right papers was considerably more important than making sure I knew what was in evry formula in every paper I saw.

In more recent times, the ability to access papers in various levels of quality HTML formats via publishers' websites and my university's library means I end up doing much the same today as I did when I started my PhD twenty years ago. I still don't read every last formula but I know that the formula is in the paper to grab when the detail is truly needed.

The above level of engagement with LaTeX or HTML based equations really is only relevant to the way I worked as a grad student and as a lecturer. It bears much less relevance to the needs of anyone who is at high school or taking a small number of university level courses making use of mathematical notation or constructs.

One last point I think is worth noting is that there is a lot of difference between reading a LaTeX document and reading mathematical elements in any other format where only the mathematical stuff is presented using LaTeX. I do think the needs of high school level and many university courses can be learned because the amount of LaTeX to learn is small. If the best (simplest) LaTeX representations are used then it should be fairly easy to engage. I would suggest that many of these documents would be very easily digested in markdown for example, but if that is being used, then the converted output is even better.

Nice discussion.

Jonathan