[BlindMath] Inaccessible math books

Sabra Ewing sabra1023 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 20:24:50 UTC 2021

math ML might be the best format, but when I was in college what I believe they did is they used Duxberry and they made a BRF file. That file would make the equations show up correctly on my braille display. I couldn't listen to them and read them because when I listened to them they wouldn't be right, but I could read them, which was the most important. I suggested that at my university as well when I went there, and they had Duxberry but didn't know how to use it. When I left, they were going to get an influx of flying students from the school for the blind. I'm not sure how they ended up doing with that. Maybe fine if those blind students weren't taking higher level math. I don't know. I don't think you can get the publisher to do it. The university has to make a reasonable effort to make the book accessible. Butif that person likes audio graphs like me, then you don't have to make tactile graphs. Tactile graphs really suck and I don't understand why they keep on getting offered to people who were born blind as the default. With tactile graphs they have to be very huge and they have to be one per page. I didn't understand that they have to be big until I was getting some help from a student who is drawing some graphs on a makeshift graphing board that we made. The graphs they made were so tiny and there were a lot of them per page. But you can't do that. It needs to be big big big if someone like me is going to be able to read it. Also it needs to have a different texture versus the line versus the grid underneath and for someone like me who can barely read it to begin with, you need to have the grid underneath and not just the tick marks. The problem with embossers is that they make the grid and the graph the same texture so they just all blend together.A higher level math like calculus it is difficult to put enough information on a graph like this whereas with an audio graph, you can listen to so much information at once and you can even listen to things moving such as rotations, reflections, spinning arrows, and all sorts of things. I didn't even need training. I was on the app right away just listening and listening. On one app I was even listening to a picture of Homer Simpson and I didn't realize that he was very large and very overweight until I listened to a picture of him. If I felt a picture of him, I wouldn't know what he was. He would just be a bunch of blobs that didn't make sense. Some thing that complicated I can never read. Yeah I didn't need any training. I'm listening to shapes all the time even right now, and they are the exact same shapes that come on the pictures and the graphs, except nobody made intentional shapes and I don't have earphones so mostly they are just waves, lines, and dots. I thought everybody heard them, but apparently they don't. Only I do. Some other blind people do as well like Amanda. I think she's on here. She can tell you about them. But I don't think Amanda hears them the way I do every second. If I had been offered them in school, I would have learned a lot more in math. I might have even done well and mobility lessons because I would have been able to read the maps that they gave me. If the person is like me they can just skip over the training and start listening to what they've been hearing all the time, except actual shapes now such as a picture of a house instead of just waves, lines, and dots. If not, then apparently they can do it with intensive training. If you have to do a tactile graph, it might even be better do you put on the rubber board. I could always read the graphs on the rubber board a lot better than the ones that were embossed because I could pick up the string a tiny bit to see the intersection, and I could easily tell the graph from the grid and I could easily tell the points as well. But the problem with that is you can only make one graph at a time on it. I can make basic graphs on the graphing board as well. If someone needs to make some graphs, they can make it on there and either show it to somebody or get some pictures. If they're like me and they can't take pictures, then they can have someone on call who is just at home or doing whatever they're doing who you can call them through your camera and they can get pictures for you. I'm sure university student could do it. It would be no more than maybe an hour of work at most, and it would be in five minute increments or so as the person called after they did each problem. Or the University could get era, which is a bit more expensive, but which can be on call for 24 hours a day and can take some pictures. They are expensive but if the university did get them for the student for a certain number of minutes, they could at least read part of the book to you or type it. But really it might be cheaper to just record the book or type it yourself. If you calledYou wouldn't be guaranteed to get somebody new math. They won't let you set up an agent ahead of time I don't you wouldn't be guaranteed to get somebody new math. They won't let you set up an agent ahead of time I don't think. But everything I can think of will Take hours of work for each chapter. At least if yotake hours of work for each chapter. At least if you use the PDF from the publisher you can copy and paste any text and you just have to do the equations. Math NL is the best format. You can listen to it, you can read it on a braille display, you can read it on the computer, you can read it on the phone, you can basically read it anywhere.You don't have to learn anything complicated if you ar you don't have to learn anything complicated if you are reading it. It simply shows up.

Sabra Ewing