[BlindMath] Please, more talk between blind math users and LaTeX developers

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 14:17:55 UTC 2021

Hi

Group journal TUGboat? The submission deadline is the end of March.

The focus of this list is end users who have a disability that affects
reading, namely visual impairment. I think the LaTeX team is focussed on
LaTeX developers and users. Perhaps for the LaTeX team their end user is
the author who is writing in LaTeX.

I think an article in TUGboat, the journal of the TeX User Group, would
help LaTeX developers be more aware of students and others with a
disability as an end user of LaTeX. After all, what is an author without
readers?

March 31 is the deadline for the next issue of TUGboat. After that, the
deadlines are August and October. Is anyone interested in working with me
on an article for TUGboat, to be submitted at the end of the month.

We don't have to agree on everything to co-author an article. Indeed,
communicating the diversity of experience and views could be very valuable,
along with shared views when they exist.

Here's something I'd like to say

BEGIN
The UK Government writes

> Your service must be accessible to everyone who needs it. You may be
  breaking the law if you do not make it accessible.

> You need to think about how users might access and use your service
  before you design or build anything.
END

I'd evaluate the LaTeX Team proposal from this point of view. I'd also
cover technical questions, and minimal viable sub-products.

By the way, by LaTeX developer I mean anyone that develops software that
has a substantial relationship to LaTeX. So this would include LaTeX2HTML,
tex4ht and lwarp developers for example, as well as the many authors of
LaTeX packages. And, in my opinion, developers who work with MathJax.

So, is anyone interested in working together on a jointly submitted article
for TUGBoat. The deadline is 31 March, so we'd have to start this week!
It's an opportunity to influence events.

The URL for the UK Government statement is here:
https://www.gov.uk/service-manual/helping-people-to-use-your-service/making-your-service-accessible-an-introduction

A URL for Minimal Viable Product is here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_viable_product

with best wishes

Jonathan