[BlindMath] SPSS and Jaws

Boris Veytsman borisv at lk.net
Tue Feb 28 22:53:54 UTC 2023

JGvB> Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 05:49:40 +0000
JGvB> From: Jonathan Godfrey via BlindMath <blindmath at nfbnet.org>

JGvB> Boris,

JGvB> Your link sends us to a page that contains a multitude of links
JGvB> on it, many of which are labelled with undecipherable
JGvB> alpha-numeric strings.

I am sorry.  Here is an HTML copy

https://ctan.mirrors.hoobly.com/info/tex-vpat/texlive-vpat.html

JGvB> I would for example ask how authors using TeX Live are supported
JGvB> to create HTML as the output file in preference to the
JGvB> frequently inaccessible pdf files TeX creates.

You are right, of course.  This document discusses the accessibility
of TeXLive as a product.  The accessibilty of documents created with
TeX is a separate topic.  We do put effort into making these documents
accessible by default (again, we are volunteers with limited
resources).

1.  tex4ht system creates HTML output from TeX sources.  Its
maintainer, Michal Hoftich, recently added features to make the output
more accessible.

2.  pdfs are, indeed, often inaccessible.  Still, latex3 team is
working on making compliant pdfs.  By the way, a workshop at TUG2023
will be devoted to tagging pdf,
https://tug.org/tug2023/workshop.html.  We had accessibility talks at
all recent TUG meetings.  The task is indeed difficult, but the
research and development are ongoing.

3.  Here is a page discussing accessibility and TeX,
https://tug.org/twg/accessibility/

4.  While we are unpaid volunteers (again), we were able to secure
some dedicated funds for making TeX accessible.  We paid from these
funds for the latex2nemeth work, and we are open for grant
applications.

We do not have the resources of large corporations, but we try to do
what we can.

--
Good luck

-Boris