[BlindRUG] a bandaide approach

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Thu Apr 2 06:01:11 UTC 2015

Hello Jude,

Welcome to the group.

I'll keep my answers to the focus of the list , that being the questions related to R and how you might interact with it.

I am not a Linux user at present. I do know a few things about how my Linux using friends work but perhaps without the detail that you may need. I don't for example know what an org-mode table is, but pulling data into R might be as simple as saving your data into a simple text file and then reading it into an R session.

I do know that org-mode does allow processing of R commands just like it does for other languages. You can for example switch processing of data among the languages that you know best, In particular, many people pre-process their data using Python.

Depending on your level of commitment to org-mode, you might also start to investigate working in Rmarkdown. I intend Rmarkdown to be a discussion topic in the very near future.

In brief, Rmarkdown is a variant of markdown which allows the user ot include R commands in code chunks that are then processed. The original Rmarkdown file is converted to a standard markdown file by including the R output (text and graphs) appropriately, and then converting to the type of preference. Options include HTML and pdf as well as MS Word and a bunch of slide presentation formats.

Cheers,
Jonathan