[BlindRUG] SPSS with JAWS?

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Wed Apr 7 04:58:33 UTC 2021

Hello Amy et al.,

SPSS is good software for what it is good for. If it was rubbish software, it wouldn't exist today.

Professors make decisions about software for any number of reasons; some good reasons and some not so good. These reasons almost certainly do not include the access needs of a diverse range of students. I know decisions get made on the grounds of licencing and cost and occasionally on the grounds of pedagogy.

I wouldn't contemplate fighting with SPSS  again or suggest any novice do so, but I did for the following publication:

Godfrey, A.J.R. and M. T. Loots (2014, July). Statistical software (R, SAS, SPSS, and Minitab) for blind students and practitioners. Journal of Statistical Software, Software Reviews 58(1), 1-25.
It's now 7 years since we wrote the paper of course, but things have got better for R, slightly better for SAS, not any better for SPSS, and much worse for Minitab users.

A link to the (very readable HTML) pre-print is https://r-resources.massey.ac.nz/papers/JSS.v58.s1/

I suggest you read that paper, and take it along to a meeting with the professor in question. Section 2 of the work is quite timeless. Section 8 presents our findings when using SPSS.

I don't understand why you need to "buy" it. There must be a way for your professor  to put a demo version of JAWS on a PC running the software, unplug their mouse, and let you give them hints on how to use their software choice with a screen reader. This will prove very instructive for both of you. They need to find out how much work they will have to undertake to support your use of SPSS in their class.

BTW: The last few bits of advice are what I offer anyone using any new software, whether that be statistical or something else.

I would love to learn that SPSS is fully accessible. I might choose R today, but the choice is pretty much made for me for so many reasons. It would be an empowering position to be in were I able to have a meaningful choice between software options.

Hope that helps,
Jonathan