[Blindtlk] NFB and Lions

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 15 01:37:16 UTC 2009

Dear David,

I am a Lion with the Boca Raton Lion's Club in Florida.  I know several
other NFB members who are also Lions.
Every club is different, just as each of us is different.  Some people are
better and more open minded than others, but for the most part, I know of no
issues with the Lions accepting Blind members.  I just educate them, just
like I do everyone else I come in contact with.
The Lions are looking for younger members as many clubs have a lot of older
members and if they don't bring in younger members, the clubs will die.
I bring them a real and different prospective as a blind person.
They turn to me to ask how they can help blind people better, so I know they
need and want my input.
I have been a Lion since about 1995, been the club's Vice-President and tail
twister and a club director.  I was the chair of our Xmas Party for Blind
Children for about 8 years.  Remember, the lions are a private organization
and you have to be invited to become a member, it is not automatic.  That
said, you will know they want you if they ask you to join their club.  The
Membership has to vote you in, usually after you have attended, as a guest
and at least a month has passed.
I have found the members of my club to be very supportive and caring.  A
couple of them pick me up for meetings and give me a ride home afterwards.
I am sure that you will be greeted the same way.
 Lion David Evans
Boca Raton Lion's Club, Florida
A Melvin Jones Award Winner and a Lion Lifetime Award Winner