[Blindtlk] Grocery shopping, and transportation questions

Kathleen Millhoff kmillhoff at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 01:09:05 UTC 2010

hi, well, it's always a logistical issue, being blind and having to
get stuff done; take it from someone who's lived throughout the world,
sometimes with, sometimes without transit. Anyway, there isn't just
one answer but here are couple of things that have worked for me.  I
like those little carts that fold up. I used to haul laundry in one so
I could herd my kids with one hand, pull the cart with the other, and
swing my cane with the other - oops, that's 3. (jk) I made my kids
hold the cart. The carts are metal, lightweight and easy to maneuver.
I'd place groceries in those bags that are cloth, heavy-duty,
reuseable. Stores are now giving discounts for their use. I agree with
the guy who said "time is money" but I'd think para-transit, often
slow and unreliable can be made to work for us.  Bring a recorded book
or something to write while traveling. I feel lucky to be able to
catch up on writing or reading while wending my way throughout these
villages on my slow way to work.  But, being is a college is a plus.
If you can do the math, figure how much cab fare you'd save and buy
yourself a car. I'm serious; blind people have done this. And hire a
college kids to drive you places; they get money, maybe a trade-off,
and you're using your own vehicle. If you can't swing that purchase,
hire a driver from amongst the ranks of the impoverished college kids
(although they sure have more money now than I ever did), they have
bulletins boards throughout the campus and you can post something
about a job.   If it's too expensive to think of this, work out
something with either cab company or bus company.  Also, tlk to store
mangers about how to manage getting things home.
OK, it's a lot easier giving out advice than living through the
experience, but NFB is the only place i'd go for advice and help.
best of luck.

--
Kathleen A. Millhoff