[Blindtlk] Accessible iPod

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 11:19:55 UTC 2011

Book players with SD cards is an option, if you don’t mind carrying a
deck of SD cards with you.  I wasn’t aware the BookSense did M4A
files.  Supposedly the initial specs claimed the Victor Stream did as
well, but in reality it didn’t and the specs were updated to reflect
reality.  Dunno if the feature was ever actually implemented.

Still, none of this is the same as an integrated hard drive.  Well,
except if you can find a suitable Compact Flash (CF) using player
that will accommodate a MicroDrive the iPod Classic’s 160 GB drive is
in that form factor.  Of course, hard drives tend to fail, and
there’s no guarantee a given player will support a drive of the
desired capacity.

Reinventing the iPod isn’t a trivial task, unfortunately.  There are
good reasons why it’s become the standard in music players.  And the
reason why iPods these days no longer use them is because they are
and always were pretty fragile.  You don’t get as much capacity with
flash storage, but you get somthing that is not subject to a head
crash because someone’s jogging with it.

Joseph