[Blindtlk] the meaning of confidence

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 1 21:05:25 UTC 2011

Hi Julie. I like your post--the humor and the serious parts.

For me confidence is composed of two parts--having the belief in myself to
try, and practicing what I find difficult enough that it becomes less
difficult and hence more doable. An earthy example if you will permit it: I
hate trying to find bathrooms in a public place and used to take foolish
pride in my bladder--how long I could go without going. Well, it's wonderful
that God blessed me with a good bladder, but it is more productive to
address my tension at having to practice structured discovery and just go
find a bathroom. Age has helped me along with this issue, not only because I
believe more in myself, but my bladder doesn't let me ignore it for eight or
ten hours at a time. I've also found that I'm more uncomfortable being
physically uncomfortable than I was being mentally uncomfortable.

Confidence may be an overused word on this list, but for me it really
represents two very important areas of growth: knowing I can safely venture
forth, and making that trip a minor event rather than something I would
ponder exhaustively before taking it.