[Blindtlk] Who Bathes You?

Anjelina anjelinac26 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 03:59:34 UTC 2011

Hi all,
This discussion has been very interesting. I think we can all agree we've
had our fair share of oddball questions from sighted people. If we combined
our stories we could compile an encyclopedia chronicling our experiences. :)
I'll start off by saying I'm not meaning to sound accusatory or do not
intending to single anyone out.
I understand that this is mainly a blindness forum, but it's also public.
How is bashing people productive? Let's talk about what can we do to change
attitudes? For myself, I've tried to look at myself before expecting change
from anyone else. Is there something else I can do differently in how I
present myself?
I've learned an important lesson about jumping to conclusions about what we
hear or assume someone is saying. Someone could say: "Who did your hair?"
That could mean, who styled it or cut it, rather than taking the comment
personally. One statement could be made and it could be interpreted seven
different ways. There may be a small group of people who for whatever reason
want to be rude and ask absurd questions, but most people probably truly
don't realize what they are asking. Do you subscribe to the idea of us being
ambassadors for the blindness community?
I get irritated at times with silly questions, but I also try to stop and
think about the person from their prospective. Atl east they have the
courage to ask the questions and open a dialogue. We have lots of control in
trying to convey the capabilities of the blind and if what we say isn't
accepted then all that matters is we tried. Would we rather sighted people
go around assuming things about us that aren't true?
Just my thoughts.