[Blindtlk] Doggie Doo.

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 11 13:46:29 UTC 2011

Mary,
    I am the president of the National Association of Guide Dog Users. I
take offense at the assertions by other guide dog handlers that they are
incapable of picking up after their dogs. It is my understanding that all
guide dog training programs teach the technique of cleaning up after their
dogs. It is very easy for a blind person to know when their dog assumes the
position. then they locate the base of the tail and mark that place. I do it
by pointing my toes toward that spot, Then I place a bag on my hand and find
the pile.
    Let me also say that many communities that have "pooper scooper"
ordinances exempt the blind; however, I am opposed to this. Blind people
(and others who use service animals), are more likely to have their dogs in
places others are not allowed to take their pets, such as downtown
buildings, restaurants, etc. Therefore, I feel it is as important for
service animal handlers to pick up after their dogs as it is for the general
public.
    If you need any other information on this or other guide dog related
issues, please do not hesitate to call upon me. My contact information is
below my signature.

fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
813-626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG
HTTP://WWW.NAGDU.ORG