[Blindtlk] Jumping on the 'Need cane Suggestion' Band Wagon!

Jewel herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 14:14:34 UTC 2011

I didn't have anything to suggest to the other person, but I would
like to jump on the bandwagon and ask a suggestion for myself. I'm
5'2" so I know a 58" works well for me, but I am still working on
figuring out the right style of cane.

I like the 50/50 can from the NFB, save one thing...there's no grip.
The grip on my heavier fiberglass cane is good on my hand, which makes
a difference for me.

I have fibromyalgia,  so the lighter the cane the better. I've ben
using a rolling tip simply because I didn't have the right pointer
tip. I am thinking a metal tip would be good for me (pointer style)
because I've heard it gives better feedback, and I have learned I
listen as I walk quite a bit (I noticed right away when my roller tip
was down too far, needing replacement).

I need something lighter, but that will stand up to abuse as I tend to
have a sharper swing than some, and I also walk faster these days, and
my cane has bent under objects before I stopped. I would alos be using
it with a motorized wheelchair or manual wheelchair (depending on the
situation...motorized at Disney, manual in stores), if that make sany
difference and I'm sure it does. Like, should I use the same length
with a wheelchair? Longer? Shorter?

Thanks for putting up with my bandwagon jumping!

~Jewel