[Blindtlk] Hiring a Driver

Desiree Oudinot turtlepower17 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 09:53:49 UTC 2013

Hi Arielle,
Yes, that's about right. I don't know if my parents quite think of it
the way you describe, but they do seem to think that, once you become an
adult, friendships happen accidentally. They don't think that co-workers
should be friends, and, to them, that's the only time you might socially
interact with someone. They both think that you can be nice to the
people you work with, but interacting with them outside of work is
unacceptable.
I do think they have a problem with me hanging out with people that are
blind, because they think I should be more "normal" than that, but it
doesn't change the fact that, underneath it all, they gave the same dire
warnings to my sister, who is sighted, about forming friendships in
adulthood. Because, according to them, you only meet people you work
with. They have a problem with the fact that my sister met her current
partner online, but that's a whole other story.
I apologize for the sarcasm, but that is how they form their own values,
and that's the way they expect my sister and I to follow suit.

Desiree