[Blindtlk] Off Topic - Accessible places on the net for LGBTQ individuals?

Diane Graves princess.di2007 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 01:33:27 UTC 2013

Hi Ari, Peter, and All,

Let me first emphasize the fact that I am not gay, so perhaps I have no
right to speak here. However, I really wouldn't think that recognizing this
attraction as a totally blind person would be any different whether you are
gay or straight.

Those of us who are totally blind and heterosexual, know what we like and
know what we don't. We go by voices, the companionship we prefer, things we
have in common, and a number of other factors. Even being totally blind, we
have body types that we prefer, and once you get to know a person you
typically get a general idea of their body type. Are they tall, are they
short, overweight or thin, muscular or slight, long hair or short,  etc.

For example, I am a totally blind white woman who, for as far back as I can
remember, has always preferred or gravitated toward black men. I have always
been attracted to the voices, by the confident way that they carry and
present themselves, and a number of other characteristics. I also think that
I have always felt a kin to the African American race because I, myself,
have experienced blatant discrimination.

I don't think any of these factors would be different if you were totally
blind and gay. You really don't need sight to determine what you like/want.

Diane Graves
 most anything that